When your HP Printer stops working properly, you can immediately tell that this is due to some hardware issues. If and only if there is a hardware problem.
However, sometimes it may also happen that when you check your printer’s hardware status, apparently you will find that your printer’s hardware is in good condition. Yet, it will not work in the expected condition.
Then, what must be the problem?
Well, there are a lot of probabilities due to which your printer is malfunctioning. But one of the most common issues that arise, is the printer’s full memory. You can quickly solve this problem if you know how to clear memory on HP printer.
The method of clearing memory on HP printers varies according to the situation. For example, in Windows, it will be different as compared to MAC.
So, in this article, we have listed the top 5 ways through which you can easily learn how to clear memory on HP printer.
Before proceeding, take a look at what is the internal memory of a printer? Why does a printer need memory? And how does Printer Memory work?
- What is the Internal Memory of a Printer?
- Why does a printer need memory?
- How does Printer Memory work?
- How to clear memory on HP Printer?
What is the Internal Memory of a Printer?
One of the many key features of the printers is the Internal Memory. When you print or scan multiple documents with your HP printer, it saves some temporary data of your documents. This temporary data of your documents is called the internal memory of a printer.
Why does a printer need memory?
A printer needs storage and memory to make the printing process faster. The more internal memory a printer has, the faster it will print your documents. Hence, whenever you plan to buy a printer, always go for the one that has higher internal memory. So that you end up purchasing one of the best printers.
How does Printer Memory work?
Your computer needs a print queue to keep the print jobs separate from one another while you send multiple documents to print. This queue works across all the users and accounts. It contains all the necessary data and a list of print jobs in a temporary memory known as a print spool. As soon as the printer completes one job, the computer sends another job from the print spool. Consequently, making the whole process much faster than usual.
We have reviewed: 9 Best 3D Printer For Miniatures
How to clear memory on HP Printer?
As you have learned quite a lot about printer memory, now it’s time to learn how to clear it. Below, you will find 5 different methods to clear memory on an HP printer.
1. Deleting the Print Queue on Windows
As we know, resetting the printer is the last option we want to use, so let’s try deleting the print queue method first.
- Open the start menu by clicking the Windows logo in the bottom left corner, or pressing the Windows button.
- Type “Printers and Scanners” in the start menu, and click on it to open.
- Now, find your HP Printer and double-click on it.
When you open the properties of your HP Printer, you might see many print jobs queued. These print jobs must be clogging up the memory. You can solve this issue by deleting these print jobs.
2. Deleting the Print Queue on MAC
Deleting the print queue on MAC is a little bit different than windows. Below, you will find how to clear memory on HP Printer in MAC.
- Firstly, click on the hard drive icon on your MAC. Then, click on ‘Applications, Utilities, and Print Centre’. As soon as you click on it, the Printer List dialogue box shall open.
- In the dialogue box, click on ‘Printers’. Then click on ‘Show Queue’.
- Now, press and hold the option key on your MAC keyboard.
- Click on ‘Quit Print Centre’, and a warning message will appear. Simply click OK on that warning message.
This method will surely clear your HP Printer memory. However, if deleting the print queue does not work for you, see the below method.
3. Delete the Fax Log Method
If deleting the print queue does not work for you, maybe deleting the fax log will do. However, to clear the fax log on the HP printer, you will need the printer’s interface rather than the computer’s.
- Go to the menu of your HP Printer.
- Now, navigate to the ‘Tools’ option. You may need the arrow keys for this.
- Find the ‘Clear Fax Log’ option in the tools section and press OK on it.
After this, your HP Printer memory must be cleared completely allowing faster printing.
4. Using the HP Printer’s Control Button
If none of the above-mentioned methods works for you, try clearing your hp printer memory using the printer’s control button.
- Repeatedly press the ‘Cancel’ or ‘Reset’ button on your HP printer until it shows ‘Ready’.
- Just in case the printer does not show ‘Ready’ by pressing the ‘Cance’ or ‘Reset’ button, simply turn off your printer power switch. You will find the power switch on the back of your HP printer.
- Now, turn on the power switch of your printer. Your printer’s display will show ‘Ready’ as soon as it turns on.
We have reviewed: 7 Best Printers For Digital Photography
5. Resetting your HP Printer
If any of these methods do not solve your memory issue, the last option is to reset your hp printer.
Resetting the printer is as simple as it can be. But it may cause a loss of your data. Hence, this method must be placed as the last option as we already mentioned.
- To reset your hp printer, turn off your printer completely and plug it out of the power source.
- Wait for a minimum of 1 minute and a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Now, plug it back into the power source.
You have done clearing the internal memory of your hp printer.
In this blog post, we have listed the top 5 methods on how to clear memory on HP printer. We hope that after reading this, you have learned to solve the memory issue of your hp printer and now, you are printing your documents without any interruption.